In the book The Neurogenesis Diet and Lifestyle: Upgrade Your Brain, Upgrade Your Life, Dr. Brant Cortright presented great findings to boost our brain health at any age. He suggested the following general principles of diet for neurohealth:
- Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits;
- High quality fats: grass-fed meat, flaxseed, pasture-raised chicken, avocados, extra virgin coconut/olive oil, nuts and seeds, high quality fish, etc.
- Cook at low temperature. Don’t eat burnt or charred meat.
- Lower sugar and carbohydrates intake. Good carbohydrates comes with lots of fiber: summer squash, berries, kale, carrots, etc.
Three reasons to make chia drinks yourself.
- Chia seed, which is loaded with antioxidants and fiber, is naturally low-calorie. It helps to reduce weight, and has many health benefits.
- Chia seed is low price (organic chia seed is around $4 lbs at whole food). Compare to the price of those single serve bottles!
- The jelly-like texture is unique. Adjust the taste with your choice of fruit.
- Mix up 3 teaspoons of chia seed and a cup of warm water.
- Get 1/4 lemon and squeeze the juice in to add a taste.
A handful green kale and red kale; Several baby carrots; one kiwi fruit (just for sweetness). Good health plant protein and vitamins A/C/K. Give it a shot!